Your old rug could work magic in your garden!
Can I recycle carpets?
No. Your local recycling centre won’t usually accept carpets, mats or rugs for recycling.
- Instead, if your carpet is in good condition, try selling it! Advertise in local papers or on community noticeboards.
- Or donate it! Give it to a charity shop, school or jumble sale.
What else can I do with them?
- Furniture re-use groups such as CROFT (Chelmsford Recycling Furniture Project & Task Force) will accept clean unwanted carpets. You can contact them by phone. Tel: 01245 494 223
- Local gardening groups may also be interested, as carpets make good mulch.
Re-use your carpets
- Use in your garden as mulch, or between rows of plants to prevent weeds
- Cut up carpets for use as foot mats in cars or to line the boot.
- Cut into small circles and place under the feet of heavy furniture. This should help to protect your new carpet!Take old mats or rugs on camping or caravan holidays to use as a doormat
- Old pieces of carpet can be used to cover your compost bin over the winter
What Can Be Recycled?
Latest Recycling News
Many of us do our bit for the environment at home by putting garden waste on the compost heap and bottles in the bottle bank. But what about when we’re at work? Here are some tips on how to be eco-friendly in the workplace...
Yes, you heard correct, number plates! Did you know that number plates on cars, motorbikes and other vehicles are one of the most lucrative items that you can recycle from a vehicle before it gets scrapped?