Planning to upgrade your PC?
Can I recycle computers?
Yes. Your local recycling centre may accept computers for recycling, or you can donate your computer, even if it isn’t in perfect working order!
How should I recycle computers?
- Contact your local recycling centre to find out what items of equipment they can accept and in what condition
- Make sure that you permanently delete all files and programs on your computer’s hard-drive
- Check for any instruction manuals, cables or accessories that you could donate with it.
- If you are also recycling software with your computer, make sure you include the software licence and any installation CDs
What else can I do with them?
If your computer equipment is in good working order, you can donate it to someone else directly.
- Freecycle is a non-profit movement that encourages people to give things for free in their local community.
- A local school, community project or youth organisation may be glad to take your computer – try advertising locally.
- Donate a PC is a marketplace for donors and recipients. Your equipment will go to a UK charity, school or other not-for-profit organisation
You may also be able to sell your computer. Try advertising in a local paper or notice board.
Donating your unwanted computer equipment to a charity scheme is a great way to help others, and it needn’t be in perfect working order. The technicians may also delete all of your files for you.
- Computers for Charities will repair and upgrade your computer for use in developing countries
- Computer Aid will prepare your PC for schools in Africa
- Oxfam can sell your old computer in their shops and raise funds for their charity work
What Can Be Recycled?
Latest Recycling News
Many of us do our bit for the environment at home by putting garden waste on the compost heap and bottles in the bottle bank. But what about when we’re at work? Here are some tips on how to be eco-friendly in the workplace...
Yes, you heard correct, number plates! Did you know that number plates on cars, motorbikes and other vehicles are one of the most lucrative items that you can recycle from a vehicle before it gets scrapped?