The key to successful recycling!
Can I recycle keys?
Yes. Like other metals, keys can be recycled in the mixed metals recycling facility at most local recycling centres.
How should I recycle keys?
- Remove any plastic tags or key rings before depositing your keys in the mixed metals bank.
What else can I do with them?
- If you have a large collection of keys to dispose of, try contacting a local scrap metal merchant.
Re-use your keys
- Sew old keys into the bottom hem of your curtains to make them hang straight
- Tie a number of keys together with string and attach them to a can to create a recycled wind chime.
- Use a long key as a letter opener, or to cut along packing tape on sealed carboard boxes
- Paint and use as a handle on the string of a bathroom light or ceiling fan
- Old keys may be of interest to local artists or designers – advertise locally
What Can Be Recycled?
Latest Recycling News
Many of us do our bit for the environment at home by putting garden waste on the compost heap and bottles in the bottle bank. But what about when we’re at work? Here are some tips on how to be eco-friendly in the workplace...
Yes, you heard correct, number plates! Did you know that number plates on cars, motorbikes and other vehicles are one of the most lucrative items that you can recycle from a vehicle before it gets scrapped?